When you can’t find what you need, sometimes you just have to build it.
While developing a client’s ecommerce site I went searching for a web cart with the following wish list in mind:
- Free and open source
- Easy integration with existing storefront
- PayPal checkout
- PHP based
- Ajax enabled (ideally using jQuery)
- XHTML compliance
- No complicated manual or new syntax to learn
- No special server requirements or other dependencies
- Lightweight, readable, commented code
Chances seemed good it was already out there somewhere, but instead of finding an existing solution I found a free PHP class called webForce cart that turned out to be the perfect start, with clean extendable code.
After some modifications to the PHP and the addition of jQuery, enabling Ajax was even easier than expected. Eventually, I realized someone else might find this useful and released it as jCart. Hopefully that’s you, enjoy!